Mr John Spencer’s
home in Apollo Street was purchased in 1757, it would be the new
residence of the Governor. It was aptly titled ‘New House’ and
subsequently ‘Company House’.
The Governor did not
reside here for long. Bombay had began to grow and the heart of the
city was becoming congested. Governors had begun to prefer the climes
at the occasional hot weather residence at Parel.